You will need:
- 3 large raw red capsicums, diced
- 3 roasted red capsicums, flesh diced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- (Optional) 1 tsp chilli paste
- (Optional) pinch of cayenne pepper
- 6 cups stock (chicken or vegetable)
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- Finely grated rind of 1 orange*
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- (Optional) Fresh basil leaves
- (Optional) ½ cup cream
*I recommend a plane for this job. It makes grating child’s play
- In a large pot warm the olive oil over a low heat
- Add the diced raw capsicums and sliced onions. Cook gently for 15minutes, stirring occasionally
- Add the diced roasted capsicums, optional chillies and cayenne pepper, and the stock. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 25 minutes.
- Stir in the orange juice and rind, scatter in the salt and ground black pepper, and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Puree the soup in batches in a food processor. Do this carefully. Do not take the lid off the processor to see how it’s going. Red capsicum soup makes a heck of a mess splashed around the kitchen and over you! I know – I did that once!
Add optional cream and stir through. Scatter optional torn basil leaves over each serving. This soup is equally delicious as a hot or cold summer soup.
This soup freezes well so once you’ve had a bowl, stash suitable serving sizes into your freezer and you will have an easy lunch or very light dinner at hand. Isn’t amazing how easy cooking for one can be?